Community Connections for Newcomers to Canada
Connecting newcomers with local volunteers.
Newcomer participants develop their understanding of Canadian society, practice their language skills, network for employment and get support in their overall settlement process. Volunteers become active members of more welcoming communities.
Also, the Community Connections services organizes events and group activities such as, conversation circles, recreational activities, social events, cooking and craft sessions, day trips, multicultural festivities and special holiday celebrations.
Sample of Program Offerings:
- Individual / Group matches: newcomers to Canada are introduced to local volunteers for cultural and/or career mentoring, supporting language learning, share knowledge and experiences. This service aims to help newcomers to Canada connect in their community and assist them through their settlement process.
- English Conversation Circles (ECC): Community Connections’ volunteers and local community partners facilitate informal discussion groups at various locations across Niagara. All levels of language are welcome to participate in these groups to practice English, get informed on local events and make new connections in the community.
Click here to get an Schedule of Conversation Groups
- Volunteer Search Assistance for Newcomers: Get one-on-one assistance on your volunteer search. Discuss local opportunities and make contacts that can help you find a placement that suits your career and interests. Call your local Community Connections Coordinator for an appointment.
- Cooking Club: Share recipes, cook and eat with a group of newcomers. Currently running at the Drummond Hill Presbyterian Church on the second Monday of each month. (6136 Lundy’s Lane, Niagara Falls, ON). Registration Required.
- Group Activities: A variety of opportunities to participate, including: cooking, crafts, dance, gardening and more, there is always something different to learn every month!
- 50+ Support group and various program activities (e.g. computers, yoga, volunteering, etc.). Ongoing. Call for a detailed schedule of activities (905) 685-6589 ext. 228
- And much more! If you have an idea or a talent that you would like to share with your community, contact us to explore together the possibility of a partnership!
How to get involved?
Newcomers to Canada:
The Community Connections program will introduce you to a Canadian volunteer, or to a support group, that will welcome and help you learn about your new life in Canada.
Click here for newcomer application form.
Volunteers: You will have an opportunity to show new Canadians what old Canadians are made of! Volunteers will have the opportunity to welcome and assist a newcomer in their settling process, gain a better understanding of Canada’s evolving multicultural make-up and learn about other countries, cultures and languages. To become a Community Connections volunteer, you should be: Canadian citizen or permanent resident, knowledgeable about your community and able to volunteer for about 1 hour per week with an individual or a group of newcomers.
The Community Connections program staff will provide information, training and support at all times.
Other Volunteer opportunities within the Community Connection Program are: conversation circle facilitator, group activity assistant, club organizer, special skill or talent trainer, etc. We are always looking for new ideas and suggestions to create spaces where newcomers and local community residents can interact!
Click her for volunteer application form.
For more information or to register for upcoming activities please contact:
(905) 685-6589 ext. 228
Niagara Falls & Grimsby area:
(289) 241 6289 (cell)
(905) 358-3452 ext. 241