Skills Training focuses on providing skills that will help newcomers to Canada to accelerate their prospects of entering the labour market by preparing them with greater knowledge and skills. Some of the Skills Training sessions are offered in partnership with local organizations that contribute their time and expertise.
Due to Covid-19, all sessions are currently held online. Sessions change every month.
For information on the sessions offered this month and how to register, please visit our Monthly Program of Activities at https://www.folk-arts.ca/calendar-of-activities/
The following is a list of online training offered:
- Introduction to Health & Safety in the Workplace (including online module with Ministry of Health)
- Online Basic Computer Training
- Options for Online Education for Personal and Professional Development (general and sector specific)
- Using PowerPoint for Presentations
- WHMIS Certification
- Steps to starting your own business
- Online Interview Skills
- Starting a food-related business (+safe food handling certificate)
- Strategies to Access the Hidden Job Market
- Excel for employment and self-employment purposes
- Virtual College Exploration
- Customer Service Part 1
- Customer Service Part 2
- Information Session: How to Start a Home-based Childcare
- Personality Tests for education and career planning
- And more.
Sessions are offered in group and individual settings.
- Participants must be permanent residents, landed immigrants, intend-to-land, approved PR applications, Convention refugees.
- A *JSW Assessment with an employment action plan is required prior to participation. To book a JSW assessment, please contact our Welcome Centre at 905-685-6589 Ext. 225 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All sessions are offered in English, therefore, a minimum level of English *CLB 4 is required.
(*JSW: Job Search Workshop)
(*CLB: Canadian Language Benchmarks)
All clients must register before starting a program.
To register contact us at: email@example.com or 905-685-6589 Ext. 231
Due to COVID-19, all Skills Training sessions are currently offered online between 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Accommodation for training after 4:30 pm may be arranged upon request.
For information about attending a Skills Training session, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-685-6589 Ext. 231.
If you are an employer and/or a potential partner, looking for opportunities related to employment and training, please contact:
Kim O’rourke – Job Developer: email@example.com or 905-685-6589 Ext. 245
Yennis Camargo – Skills Training Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-685-6589 Ext. 234