Skills Training Programs
Enhance your knowledge and upgrade your skills in a variety of topics including Workplace Health and Safety, Small Business Basics, Customer Service and more.
Skills Training focuses on providing skills that will help newcomers to Canada to accelerate their prospects of entering the labour market by preparing them with greater knowledge and skills.
Some of the Skills Training sessions are offered in partnership with local organizations that contribute their time and expertise.
Due to Covid-19, all sessions are currently held online. Sessions change every month.
The following is a list of online training offered:
- Introduction to Health & Safety in the Workplace (including online module with Ministry of Health)
- Online Basic Computer Training
- Options for Online Education for Personal and Professional Development (general and sector specific)
- Using PowerPoint for Presentations
- WHMIS Certification
- Steps to starting your own business
- Online Interview Skills
- Starting a food-related business (+safe food handling certificate)
- Strategies to Access the Hidden Job Market
- Excel for employment and self-employment purposes
- Virtual College Exploration
- Customer Service Part 1
- Customer Service Part 2
- Information Session: How to Start a Home-based Childcare
- Personality Tests for education and career planning
- and more.
Sessions are offered in group and individual settings.
Participants must be permanent residents, landed immigrants, intend-to-land, approved PR applications, Convention refugees.
- A *JSW Assessment with an employment action plan is required prior to participation. To book a JSW assessment, please contact our Welcome Centre at 905-685-6589 Ext. 225 or email us at [email protected]
- All sessions are offered in English, therefore, a minimum level of English of *CLB 4 is required.
(*JSW: Job Search Workshop)
(*CLB: Canadian Language Benchmarks)
All clients must register before starting a program.
Due to COVID-19, all Skills Training sessions are currently offered online between 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Accommodation for training after 4:30 pm maybe arranged upon request.
Employment Solutions started in Welland 9 years ago as Canadian Access for International Professions and Skilled Trades (C.A.I.P.S.). The expertise of our staff has assisted many Newcomer Clients from around the world to gaining meaningful employment in Canada.
As a newcomer to Canada, you may have questions about job searching and what you can do to find the job of your choice. The Job Search Workshop Program is available on-line and in-person; our team of specialists understand the job search needs of people new to Canada. We succeed when you succeed!Learn More
English as a Second Language Classes
Our centre offers full time Language Instruction for Newcomers (LINC) and English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction for adults of varying levels of language ability. Our LINC/ESL program facilitates students’ social, cultural and occupational integration into Canadian life.Learn More
Our Bridging Barriers to Newcomer Mental Health program provides mental health support to newcomers in Niagara who are experiencing language and other social barriers to accessing mainstream mental health services.Learn More
The Settlement Department assists newcomers to meet their immediate and longer-term settlement needs, including information and orientation to the community, referrals to community and social services, solution-focussed counselling and assistance with settlement plans.Learn More
We celebrate and promote cultural, social and economic inclusion and well-being of all immigrants and newcomers.
We are a gateway to equitable, respectful and welcoming communities for immigrants and newcomers in Niagara.